Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Facebook Posts from Japan

Since I try to limit the time I spend on facebook, I refrained from posting these gems during the last three months. So, here is three months of random tidbits from my time in Japan. Enjoy!

1. I mostly mastered my "cubicle voice" during my summer internships, but now I have to work on my "train voice." Everyone is so quiet on the train! And I have to make sure I refrain from whistling or singing...

2. The typical contents of my grocery basket at the supermarket in Japan: 8 slices of white bread (for only 75yen!), bananas (cheapest fruit), vegetable sticks (basically potato chips), and Hi-Chews (I'm addicted). 

3. Well I hope what I just bought is body soap... 

4. I made a new friend shortly after I arrived in Japan. She came to the house I was staying at and wanted to meet me after she HEARD me speaking English from NEXT DOOR.  My clinic team will appreciate this and the other clinic teams in our room... And possibly the teams in the next room too...

5. I am totally hooked on green tea. And guess what... I don't even put sugar in it!

6. Guava syrup on my pancakes from Eggs 'n Things was literally one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. 

7. The Saikyo line is one of the most crowded trains lines ever. I try to avoid it at all costs, but sometimes it's necessary. At one point, I thought I was going to be the last one on the train, but at least 10 people got on after me! I literally could not move. No need to worry about hanging on I guess!

8. After living in the dorms for four years, I never really thought I would live in a smaller room. Then I came to Japan...

9. How many people does it take to buy laundry detergent? 5. Me and 4 employees... The last employee spoke English.

10. Not bad for cooking in Japan!

11. You know you're busy when you have an item on your to do list to update another to do list.

12. Perfect sentiment for the solo traveler. Also, the best carmel corn I've ever had.

13. Great comfort in a time of loneliness:
Psalm 139:1-5 You have searched me, LORD, and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You, LORD, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and You lay Your hand upon me. 

14. Walking home from the train station at 11:30pm. Twenty something guy in a car drives past with the windows down blasting Kelly Clarkson. I thought I was in Japan?

15. Humidity and jeans do not mix well.

16. Green Tea KitKat!!! And Pumpkin KitKat!!! 







17. Squat toilets... I'm not a fan.

18. My transfer at Akihabara from the train to the subway: down the escalator, up another escalator, down yet another escalator, out the ticket gate, down two more escalators, pit stop at Auntie Anne's Pretzels (because you can't just walk past something that smells that good), through the subway ticket gate, and down a flight of stairs to the platform. Whew!

19. Communion Japanese style! Green tea and rice crackers!

20. Best thing about having a cold in Japan: advertisers pass out free tissues in the street. One more thing I don't have to spend money on!

21. You're welcome Tokyo. Every time I actually carry around my umbrella it doesn't rain.

22. At Mudd, I suffered from sleep deprivation. As a solo traveler, I'm suffering from hug deprivation.

23. Sweet message from my mom:
I see the moon 
And the moon sees me
And the moon sees somebody I want to see!

24. I so would have eaten these during Stems if the coffee cart sold them.

25. Guesthouse manager's question for the American on October 2: What happened to your government?

26. My favorite Australian words/phrases: "Hey! How ya going!?", heaps (a lot), whinge (whine), and budgie (a type of bird). Thank you, my dear Australian friends, for this humorous education!

27. Taylor Swift songs are my go-to at karaoke.

It has been an amazing three months in Japan. So many new and interesting experiences. So many new friends. So much good food. And a wealth of information on how the country provides for people with disabilities. While I'm certain I could stay in Japan for months and not run out of things to do, I feel ready to move on. Ready for another round of culture shock and a whole new batch of challenges to face. Ready for new food and a new climate (I'm really not a fan of the humidity...). I'm excited to meet more great people and see what the next leg of my adventure has in store.

Stay tuned for my next update from JORDAN!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Its awesome to hear about your adventures, Hannah! Keep rockin and God bless

    ReplyDelete